May 17, 2007

Melinda Doolittle, Victim of Laziness

Since Melinda Doolittle was voted off American Idol last night, folks are scrambling for reasons why the most talented, consistent performer isn't going to be in the finals.

One reviewer from the Washington Post theorizes:

Everything about Jordin and Blake seemed younger -- they are younger, truth be told -- and it's a truism that America worships youth.

Do Americans worship youth?

If you look at the top grossing movies for 2007, according to Box Office Mojo, all of the top 5 movies have old farts in them:

1Spider-Man 3
2300
3Wild Hogs
4Ghost Rider
5Blades of Glory

Spider-Man has been around since the 60s.
300 = Old Spartan farts.
Wild Hogs has an ensemble cast of old farts.
Nicholas Cage. Nuff said.
Will Ferrell = funny old fart.

If we worshipped youth, how do you explain the M.I.L.F. phenomenon?

How do you explain old as dirt Taylor Hicks beating the younger Katherine McPhee in last season's American Idol finale?

And how do you explain my broke ass, raggedy 65 year old neighbor still pulling honeys?

Something else is afoot.

I, like many others, stopped voting for Melinda weeks ago because she seemed to be a shoo in. There wasn't a sense of urgency to make sure her old (by American Idol standards) ass passed to the next round.

Once Chris Richardson and Sanjaya lost, the tween vote went to Blake.

And tweens are rabid.

Look at the footage from last night. The crowds for Blake and Jordin were buckwild. Melinda's fans, on the other hand, looked like paid extras and family members of the American Idol camera crew...much like that weird, fat, hairy guy in all of the American Idol Ford commercials.

If you really want to know how we are, let's look at some recent events:

We know that gas shouldn't be $4 a gallon...
We know that Michael Buble shouldn't have the #1 album of the week...
We know that Richard Gere shouldn't be persecuted for making out with a hot Bollywood actress...

And what do we do about it?

Not a goddamn thing!

So, I ask you again, is the reason why Melinda Doolittle lost because Americans worship youth?

Nope. We're just lazy.
-----
Why do you think Melinda was voted off last night? And, who the hell is buying Michael Buble's album?

8 comments:

Dangerfield said...

I enjoyed your post I dont know if I agree with you. Clearly Doolittle was the best, most polished and skilled singer in the competition.
Jordan would fit that discription next after Doolittle.

Although a part of me feels like Lakisha had the best voice. Do little however is the best singer and a much better singer than Lakisa. I think Dolittle will be the featured artist of the Amercan Idol competition have you heard Parris Bennits album how is it?

Dangerfield said...

I see what you said from a personal stand point, I just have never bothered to vote on american idol. I dont think its important.

Although do little should have won, but sundance should have gone farther too. Although hed still be gone by now.

I think Jordan will win if Blake and I really like the cat I will be disgusted.

Display Name said...

Something about Jordin's voice bugs me. Haven't heard Princess P's latest, but Elliot Yamin was rockin' the new teeth last night! You should vote, man! You could've saved Sundance!

Dangerfield said...

Sundance would not have lasted. Im telling american idol should still feature melinda as thier star because she is a great singer, she is by far the best.

Display Name said...

Melinda said she's relieved to be off the show, because she now knows that she has 'it' and is ready to start making music. I'm sure seeing Daughtry making more $$$ than Taylor Hicks and Katherine McPhee sure helps. Jordin and Blake need an Idol victory for their careers more than Melinda. Plus, sympathy will make the sales even bigger: She's now the 'woman been wronged' instead of the nauseating sweetheart (Jordin).

Dinah Brein said...

My name is Dinah. I was lucky enough to work with Melinda in Nashville. Being an R&B writer all my life, after moving to Nashville, I found it frustrating to find great R&B singers. The angels were smiling on me when I finally met Melinda. As sweet as she is talented it was a real treat for me to meet her and have her sing for me.

I'd love you to hear the song she's singing, called Unmade Love

If you go to:

http://www.myspace.com/agirllikememusic

and click on Unmade Love - you'll hear her glorious voice. I think Melinda is marketable much in the same way Anita Baker, Toni Braxton and Natalie Cole are. Great talent is never outdated.

Anonymous said...

That's why the title is American Idol and not America's Best and Most-skilled Singer. Think of Melinda as a van Gogh.... Her value will only increase through time....

Display Name said...

If Melinda is Van G, who is Taylor Hicks?

Add to Google
Google