Apr 13, 2007

Power of the Perm

Is it just me or have you noticed that the Rutgers Women's Basketball Team members all got fresh perms after Imus' Nappy Headed Hos comment?



Newsday had a piece on the significance of the term, so did CNN, but they say nothing about the connection between their perms and Al Sharpton's touch up.



After all, he was the first one to defend them AFTER they got the perms. Would the brotha have helped them out if they remained true to their (for lack of a better term) roots?

Sharpton claimed to cop the 'do when he worked with James Brown (R.I.P.)


Every day, Sharpton delivers on a promise he made to Brown a couple of decades ago when he asked the civil rights activist "to straighten your hair like mine so when people see you they think you're my son."Brown often called Sharpton, urging: "I want you to keep it that way until I die." Sharpton said he will never give up the look. "That's my bond with James Brown." This is perm love!

However, Sharpton was nowhere to be found when James' hair went through a rough spell:



That, my friends is a damn shame, and a goddamn nappy mess!

------------
What do you think is the special significance and POWER of the perm? Speak on this...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, we brothers now know better. Few people accuse me of being nappyheaded since I gave the Teddy Savalas look a try. In these belligerent times I now sport a"high and tight" (no puns intended or imagined) and I dare anyone to criticize it, lest I call them unpatriotic.

Mariel, on the other hand, sometimes looks as if she's singlehandedly trying to bring back the JeriCurl.

JA

Display Name said...

Now that's a hairdo I haven't heard of in a long time, JA. Forget the KFC bowl request, I wanna see Sanjaya rock the JeriCurl. Only then will his journey to Michael Jacksondom be complete!

Kiros said...

I'd imagine Sanjaya's journey would be more "complete" upon facing an MJ JeriCurl "trial by fire".

...

Come to think of it, he's already fairly flaming. Redundant, much?

One word resounded throughout the media coverage of this:

"APOLOGIZE."

South Park fans should get the reference immediately.

Add to Google
Google